Thursday, October 25, 2012

Spniach Artichoke Hummus

So you know I LOVE to sneak veggies into things my kids eat. This one has actually been a huge hit because kids love to dip things. It started when I was pregnant with #3 and could not resist walking by this Spinach Artichoke Hummus at Costco anymore! So I bought some and not only did I love it, the kids loved it! 
The problem: it was kind of pricey for someone as cheap as me. Solution: look at the ingredients on the back and several hummus recipes online and make one up! So here is the recipe I can up with:



1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 Tablespoon Sesame oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 garlic clove minced (or 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder)
3 Tablespoons lemon juice
2 (15oz cans garbanzo beans (liquid reserved)
1 (14oz) can artichoke hearts (drained)
1/2 red bell pepper
4cups spinach

Saute the garlic and red bell pepper in the oils until tender. Meanwhile, dump the beans and artichokes in the food processor and blend. Steam or saute the spinach (whichever you prefer) to get it nice and wilted. Add spinach, garlic and bell pepper (with oil), lemon juice, and salt to the food processor with the bean/artichoke mix. Puree until mixed adding the juice from the beans to get it to the right texture.



 It makes a huge amount, so you might half it the first time to make sure that it is going to get eaten. We like to dip veggies, Stacy's pita chips (which I am ADDICTED to), and veggies straws in it. My daughter will sometimes eat it and sometimes not, but my son scarfs it down every time! The hubby likes it too, which is always an added bonus! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment