Friday, October 26, 2012

Laundry Soap Update

So, if you have read my blog about laundry soap options, I have a new and improved version of the one I had suggested. Here is why:

I gave my sister some of the soap I had made that had Fels Nathpa in it and she got an itchy rash. She was not sure if it was the soap or something else, but it did lead her to look up info on Fels Naptha. Turns out that some people say that it makes them itch. So, thanks to my sister's research(and itchy suffering) I decided to try Zote Laundry Soap instead. I had originally just used Fels Naptha because the recipe said to, so why not try something new?



Her research said that it is a better option why it comes to skin allergies and I found that not only was it easier to work with, it smells better! I was never a huge fan of the way the Fels Naptha smells on its own, but I overlooked it because the lavender masked it. I really like the smell of the new laundry soap though!


Here is what you need: 

2 cups Borax
2 Cups Washing Soda
1 bar Zote Soap (it is a thick bar)
2 1/2lb Oxy Clean
30 drops lavender essential oil

The Zote is softer than Fels Naptha so it I just cut it into chucks and put it in my food processor (have I mentioned how much I love and could not live without that thing?) process it until it makes tiny little balls of soap and then add the Borax and blend in to keep the soap from being to sticky. Then put in all into a big bowl and mix in the other ingredients. 

I have been using this soap all week and really like it better. I am really glad that my sister got an itchy rash! Sorry, that you had to suffer though, Wendy! Just think how you helped me find a better homemade laundry soap recipe!

No comments:

Post a Comment