Sunday, September 16, 2012

Three Recipes

These recipes go with my Homemade Cream of Whatever post. They are all simple recipes that my family enjoys. I am not and do not claim to be a master chef. My goal is simply getting my kids to eat dinner without complaining! :)

Chicken Pot Pie
I have actually made this for other people and they all seem to love it. 
The secret is... it is SO easy.

Ingredients:
1 can of chicken
1 can cream of chicken (or the alternative in this post)
1 bag of frozen mixed veggies
1 box of pie crust (comes with 2)

I am hoping to eventually master making whole wheat pie crust, but after 2 epic fails I am going to have to have someone actually SHOW me how. Anyway, mix all of the ingredients. Put the first pie crust down in the pie dish. Fill. Put the other crust on top and seal the sides. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes if thawed, longer if frozen. (Until it is golden brown) This is a great, simple "freezer meal" too. AND it gets my whole family to not only eat all of their veggies, but ask for seconds! It is magic!

Cattleclatterhash
This is one I ate growing up. My mom got the recipe from my grandfather (my dad's dad) who I did not get to meet because he passed away before I was born. We have had lots of fun with his "cattleclatterhash" though. My mom used to make us say it before we could eat it and now that I have kids I o the same thing sometimes. It is quite amusing! :)

Ingredients:
1lb ground beef
1 cup dry macaroni noodles
1 can cream of mushroom (or the alternative in this post)
1 small can of tomato sauce
1 Tablespoon chili powder
onion or onion flakes (to taste)
shredded cheese

Brown the beef. Drain grease and add the onion, chili powder, and tomato sauce. Cook in the microwave for 5 minutes. If you prefer the stove you can just simmer it for a few minutes. Most of the recipes I have from my mom have been converted to how you make it in the microwave because she hates cooking and microwaves were all the rage in her early married days. ;) Love you mom! Okay, back to cooking....
Cook and drain the noodles and mix with the beef mixture. Top with cream of mushroom and then cheese. Put the lid on and microwave long enough to melt the cheese. Enjoy!

One Dish Dinner
This is another one that I got from, my mom and I only know how to make it in the microwave. This is one that not only I grew up eating, but my mom did too. The name "one dish dinner" is a bit deceiving though because unless you are a veggie hating bachelor, you are going to want a side dish or two.

Ingredients:
1lb ground beef
8oz wide egg noodles
5 slices of sandwich cheese
onions or onion flakes to taste

Brown meat with onion. Drain. Place UNCOOKED noodles on top. Cover with the cheese so that you cannot see the noodles. You will have to do patchwork with the cheese. Pour the tomato soup on top then a can (or cup) of water on top. Pour the water slowly so that you don't wash away all of the soup. Cover microwave for 5 minutes. Now take it out and use a spoon to push the noodles down into the water a bit and microwave a few more minutes. Repeat until the noodles are soft. Then you will see why my sister and I referred to this as "the orange noodle stuff" when we were kids.

I hope that you and your family enjoy these. Don't forget to read my post on the alternatives to the soups!

No comments:

Post a Comment